Sunday, November 30, 2008

OCTOBER RECAP



October was a pretty busy month for our family. Not only were we busy with work, school, church callings etc, but we were also very involved in two church activities. The first activity was the "Día de la Hispanidad", AKA Columbus Day. It is a day to celebrate the differenct cultures. Since everyone has this day off, the three wards that meet in our church building decided to do an activity together to celebrate the different traditional food, dance, dress etc. of all the members. We are quite diverse and in all there were 10 countries represented. I was in charge of the USA table. I decorated the table using anything red, white and blue. I was kind of lazy making food so in the end I just brought homemade chocolate cookies and ranch flavor chicken. The cookies weren´t the best and the chicken a little dry but the people didn´t know the difference and goobled them all up. Another American brought rice crispy treats. During the activity we also had a talent show where people were encouraged to share typical dances or songs from their respective countries. The night before the activity Leo and I decided we would represent the USA and do a little diddy. In the end we used Charlies children´s songs CD and made up a dance routine to "She´ll be coming around the montain when she comes". We included some typical square dance moves as well as clogging steps. As you can tell from the pictures we even tried to find the most western clothes from our closet. Charlie was supposed to ride around on his stick horse but in the end he just stood in the middle of us with stage fright but at least he didn´t cry. It was a lot of fun and the people really enjoyed it but I think I might have jumped around a little too much because when I went to the doctor later that week he told me the baby was really low and asked if I had a lot of activity lately. I guess I danced one too many dosey dos! He told me I needed to relax more and take it easy. What he didn´t realize was that I had volunteered to organize the Tri-Ward Halloween Party. Weeks up to the party I tried my best to delegate some of the responsibilities but that is one thing I still need to improve on. I really wanted this party to be a missionary activity so I made invitations for people to invite people who were not members. The people really took me seriously because in the end almost 300 people showed up. The church was bursting at the seams and I was a little stressed. It was hard to walk around because there were so many people. The activity included a carnival, food, spook alley, and games for adults. Even though there were a few hicups (ran out of hot dogs and broken glass in the spook alley), overall the activity was a success but I have already announced to the ward that next year there is no way I am going to organize the Halloween Party. Too much stress for me and too much suffering for my poor husband. I don´t have any pictures of the halloween party (I was too busy to actually enjoy it and take pictures) but decorations included a balloon canopy and a huge spiderweb made from yarn and a huge spider hanging from the ceiling that I made from wading up tons of newspaper and painting black. Good thing November was much more relaxed or I think the baby would have made an early appearance.

Performing "She´ll be coming around the mountain when she comes"
I guess I am still pretty young, or at least try to be.

Charlie practicing his karate moves with his halloween costume on.






2 comments:

Stacy said...

Yee Haw! Cowboy clothes look great on ya'll. Thanks for the updates! Keep them coming.

Heidi Hallam said...

I just figured out you are 8-months pregnant - you don't look it at all! I am glad your family has fun getting wild with you. Charlie will have to lose his stage fright, though!