Charlie started school this year. No that doesn´t mean that time has really flown by and he is already 5 years old. In Spain. kids start public school during the calander year that they turn 3. This has been a big adjustment for both mom and Charlie. All summer long we were trying to prepare Charlie as much as possible for this big step including potty-training. Charlie has always either been with mommy and daddy or grandma. In fact prior to going to school we had never been able to leave him by himself in nursery at church, so we were a bit worried about how he would adjust to going to school. In the end I think it was me who had a harder time adjusting than Charlie. The first couple of weeks was the adjusting period where he only went for an hour and with only 6 or 7 other students. Now he goes from 9am-2pm and there are 24 other 3 year olds in his class. The first day, because of work, I wasn´t able to drop Charlie off, but Leo said he did very well. The second day I got to drop him off and Charlie almost ripped my shirt off because he didn´t want to go. He was screaming and crying so much it made me cry and unfortunately I couldn´t stop. I blame it on the pregnancy hormones. I was crying so much people on the street were asking if I was okay. Although I never cried that much again, everytime I dropped Charlie off and he started to cry I did too, but I made sure I was too far away for him to see. This only lasted the first couple of weeks and now both mommy and son are doing fine and no more tears. Charlie now comes home and tells us all the things he has learned at school. It is fun to see how he is learning new words, sayings, and songs. He likes talking about his friends too. One of the names he mentions most is Pedro, however when he says the name it sounds like "Pedo" and for those of you who speak a little Spanish you can imagine that it makes us giggle a little everytime he says it.
Charlie going to his classroom with his teacher Silvia.
Charlie after his first day of school waiting for Grandma to pick him up.
On Mondays Charlie has PE and must wear the school uniform. Before the kids enter the classroom they all line up outside and when they go to the class they hang on to each other like a train

3 comments:
Yeah! I loved the posts...let's keep it up! We miss you all and to just sit at my computer and see you guys is such a blessing. We love you all!
I'm so glad you have a blog! Now we just need to convert Sarah! Wow! school at 3! I might cry too.. and congrats on being pregnant, I don't think I knew that before. I'm having number 3 in June. Eating saltine crackers right now cause I'm feeling nauseous.
This is so exciting! I knew Charlie had to be bigger now, but I was still kind of picturing him as a baby blowing bubbles in the hot tub. Haha! Remember that?
Looks like you have had a very busy, but fun summer! I had no idea Charlie was such a chef...or a painter! See all the fun things I'm catching up on now :)
Post a Comment